Monday, May 31, 2010

It's getting hot in here

Djibouti is the hottest place on earth. Full stop. And I'm not even in the hottest place in Djibouti: at 156 m below sea level, that honour goes to Lake Assal. People in the office think it would be funny for me, coming from one of the colder places on earth, to be photographed at the hottest place on earth. You know what I think? I think they're right; but I want to wait a bit first. Djibouti City is hot enough for now.

'Where's the beef?' I imagine you're not asking yourself. Well, despite that, the answer is: Djibouti! It's plentiful, it's reasonably priced, and I've had it for dinner two nights in a row in the form of steak. It's actually the only food stuff in Djibouti that isn't imported into the country (besides fish, but I'm told that's not even cut-and-dry). Food prices are sort of high for Africa, from what I've been told and from what I remember from Ghana (pre-revaluation of the Cedi); but baguettes are cheap and plentiful (about $0.10 each). I buy one in the morning and dip it in peanut butter for breakfast; I buy one at lunch and fill it with cheese - also reasonably priced. There's a restaurant next door to my hotel - Hotel Alia - that I just went to for the first time tonight (for steak dinner number 2) that makes delicious fruit smoothies for a little over $1.00. I just had one with banana, orange and mango. Delicious.

Work's going well. Not really working 'as such' yet, but it's going well. Yesterday involved a trip to the United Nations Department of Security Services for a debriefing on the security situation in the country, and in particular the Ali-Sabieh region (where I am to be posted forthwith). During my debriefing I learned that Djibouti is a 'Tolerant Muslim Country'. Roughly translated: there is no dress code for men or women. However, in the UN Basic and Advanced Security training courses I've additionally completed over the last two days, I've learned you are all the better to dress conservatively and to 'blend in' so not to make yourself a target:

"Observing local customs and respecting them will keep you from sending unwanted messages such as irreverence or sexual availability."

Welcomed advice.

I haven't seen anyone around town in short-pants, so I'll stick to trousers (and maybe purchase a few lighter pairs in the market downtown before relocating to Ali-Sabieh). Short-sleeved shirts, however, appear to be a fashion staple here; I believe I will invest in several.

On the horizon: meeting my supervisor (he returns from a mission to Northern Djibouti on Wednesday); firm-up my living arrangements in Ali-Sabieh (I'm now wondering, as I begin to ready my study, whether being based in Djibouti City might be advantageous?); find some French-language study guides (I know embarrassingly little French); and perhaps invest in utensils so that I might start spreading peanut butter rather than dip bread in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment